If You Own Your Present Home
- Arrange to have your gas, water, and electric meters read on the day
you leave and have the bills forwarded to your new address.
- Disconnect your telephone, cable TV, and water softener.
If You Rent Your Present Home
- Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements
for the return of any monies you have on deposit.
At Your "New" Home
- Make arrangements for the gas, water and electric utilities, water
softener, telephone and cable TV to be connected on the day of possession.
Helpful Hints for "Out of Town" Moves
- Get "Change of Address" cards from the post office and send out well
before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Cancel gardening, dry cleaning, newspapers, magazines, diaper and
other home services.
- Obtain a letter of introduction from your current financial institution
to help establish new accounts. Transfer trust or bank accounts and
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business
affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical
- Change the address on your driver's license(s) effective the day of
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage. e.g. fur coats,
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
- Dispose safely of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers
to carry them.
The data included on this website is deemed to be reliable, but is not guaranteed to be accurate by the Calgary Real Estate Board. The trademarks REALTOR®, REALTORS® and the REALTOR® logo are controlled by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and identify real estate professionals who are members of CREA. Used under license.